Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Welcome :)

     As the new year is about to meet us, we start thinking about what we will do differently, what we will resolve to change, and then we make our lists of what seems to be reachable at that moment in time, but when day one hits it seems like all of our energy, life, and want to is stripped out of us.  This is my resolution.  This blog.  Well, getting out of debt is my resolution, but I need help.  I need something that is going to help me change my mind, be accountable, and keep my mind on "helping others" (although really, it's just to help me and hopefully someone else along the way).  So, I will take you along with me on my journey.  I plan to print this blog after the goal has been reached for my girls to read so when they are older and "encouraged" to get a credit card for "emergency" use that they will know that when "emergencies" become every day "wants" that this is what they are going to have to go through.  So...resolution...begin :)
     I will be completely honest in this blog...so brace yourselves...
     We are about $32,000 in debt.  About a year and a half ago, I had the "Amercian dream".  We had a great house...I steady income...and I was comfortable as a stay at home Mom.  And then...you guessed it...my husband lost his job.  We moved to California (for personal reasons), put our house up for sale, and did what we knew what to do...Credit cards.  "B" (my husband) went to school and I worked part time as a hostess.  We were living on our savings and credit.  So, here we are...living to start over again.  
     I know we aren't alone in this.  Many have lost their jobs, lost their houses, lost everything.  And now we are striving to stay alive.  Thankfully, we haven't had to go bankrupt (yet), but I know many who have.  It's hard, it's tiring, life is going on and our debt is still hanging over us. But, like my title of my blog says..."If not today, then when?"  
     "B" and I have two girls "H" and "H".  They are 5 and 3.  Life is getting more expensive, but yet we are still in a time in our lives that we have time.  Time to get things turned around for the good.  I don't think that I would be such in a hurry to get this debt off us if it wasn't for the girls.  One day they are going to need things...prom dresses, dance recital dresses, things for school, college education, and finally, an inheritance.  What am I going to tell them?  What will I leave them?  I don't want them to resentful that they got nothing from us or that I'm going to have to tell them that they can't have what they need because of my addiction to spending.  
     So, join me in my journey :)


3 comments:

  1. My husband and I we're bring in a nice amount every week in 2008. Then the economy went down, and he took a huge pay cut. We had to give up alot just to try to stay above water. It was hard on us and our girls. We left alot up to God. And we slowly but surly got above water and it's almost 2010. It helped us and our girls to appreciate what we have. I believe it was a test for us. All I have to say is stay strong in the Lord. It will be a slow rise but if u believe you will come out of it. Thank you for writing this blog we thought we were the only ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well You have inspired me to write about my goals
    thank you for the coupons and freebie stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep watching...I will do all the research if you'll just participate!! :)

    ReplyDelete